Friday, April 10, 2009

Good Friday in Paraguay

Today is Good Friday. It is a little surreal. All the stores are closed, the buses are not running, people are off of work, but few are outside. There is no music blaring, there are no children playing and conversations are hushed.

The country is in mourning. Today, as far as I understand the country is mourning for the death of Jesus Christ. Many will not eat anything, some will eat local foods such as Chipa and Sopa Paraguaya.

Good Friday has always been one of my favorite days of the year. I try to put myself in the events of history and constantly ask,"what was happening at this time during THAT day." "What were they thinking at this moment of THEIR Friday."

But, I believe in the end, for me Good Friday is complete only when we consider that, as Tony Compolo once preached, Sunday's a Comin'. You can't understand Friday without Sunday, and you can't appreciate Sunday without Friday.

May God bless you on this day! And remember - Sunday's a Comin'!

Here is a video for you to enjoy, it is one of my favorite songs about Good Friday.

No comments: