Sunday, June 15, 2008

My Dad

Today is Father's Day!

Almost 14 years ago, I stepped from a back room of a church to await my beautiful bride to be with my brothers as my groomsmen and my father, my best-man.

I've worked in Youth Ministry long enough to know that when you are in a group of students all you have to do is mention the word, father, and people start to stare off and the tears begin to come. In a world of broken relationships and pretty cruddy fathers, my dad is a shining example of what a dad should be!

When we were kids, my father was at everyone one of our games. He would leave work early, travel hours by train, just to meet us in some remote corner of the city and watch us play volleyball... and then sometimes return to work.

When we had no money and the creditors were calling, he was laughing and telling jokes with them on the phone. (It drove my mom nuts).

When we had no idea what to do next he always seemed to know what to do (he probably didn't have a clue, but he always looked like he did.)

When we lost something, broke up with someone, or just got really hurt, he always had a Life-savor candy (usually, Butter rum) for us to eat.

When I read in the Bible that God is our Heavenly Father, it is easy for me. I know that is the hardest reality for some people to understand, but for me that one is a gimme. God rocks, God loves, God is patient, God is kind, because God is like my dad, Jim Sappia.

What scares the pants off of me, is when I see the same look in my kids' eyes that I had in my eyes when I was a kid. Now, I pray... Lord, make me like my dad, so that I can more like you!

Well, Happy Father's Day, Dad! You are still my best-man!

3 comments:

JonesFam4 said...

Beautifully said!
When do you guys ship out? Just awaiting visa's? We're praying for a smooth transition, especially with the kids.

Judydailey said...

that was great re: your dad. That reminds me of my own dad. He was always there for me. I miss him alot, but he is in a better place.

Unknown said...

Is this the great volleyball family from SBHS? If so hi it is Jeff class of 92 if not I am sorry I have bothered you. In any case keep smiliing!!